Signs and Symptoms of Compulsive Overeating
These are some of the common signs and symptoms of compulsive overeating, although not everyone will suffer from all of them:
- Binge eating.
- Fear of not being able to control eating or to stop eating voluntarily once started.
- Mood swings. Depression. Fatigue.
- Self-deprecating thoughts following binges.
- Withdrawing from activities because of embarrassment about weight.
- Chronic dieting and trying many different diets with little sustained weight loss.
- Avoidance of eating in public, while maintaining a high weight.
- Believing they will be a better person when thin.
- Feelings about self based on weight.
- Feeling tormented by eating habits.
- Weight is focus of life.
- Hiding food in strange places (wardrobes, suitcases, under the bed etc) to eat at a later time.
- Vague or secretive eating patterns.
- Weight gain and obesity.
- Insomnia and poor sleeping habits.
- Decreased mobility due to weight gain.
If you find yourself experiencing some of these symptoms, it is worth asking yourself whether you might have a problem, and seek professional help.