Treatments for Compulsive Overeating
Most people suffering from compulsive overeating have attempted to control their eating disorder by themselves before seeking medical assistance. Between ten and fifteen percent of obese or overweight people who try commercial weight loss regimes are thought to suffer from binge eating or compulsive eating.
Self treatment of compulsive overeating disorder may also include fad diets or ‘extreme’ diets, which result in a cycle of yo-yo dieting (losing weight only to regain it when the diet ends). This cycle of weight loss and weight gain can have a negative impact on the sufferer’s self-worth, as apparent success is inevitably followed by failure and a return to binge eating.
Although research into this illness has not been studied to the same extent as anorexia and bulimia, there are treatments which can prove effective. These include:
- Cognitive behaviour therapy (CBT) seeks to change binge eating habits by helping the patient understand the reasons for overeating and the emotions that may trigger bingeing or their compulsion to overeat. Patients learn to monitor their food consumption and develop alternative ways of managing stress.
- Interpersonal psychotherapy helps those with this eating disorder to examine their relationships to help identify possible causes of overeating and to resolve interpersonal problems that may contribute to their eating disorder.
- Nutritional therapy allows patients with eating disorders to work closely with a dietician. The dietician can devise a healthy eating plan for the patient and encourage the patient to keep it, helping the sufferer to change eating habits.
- Antidepressant medication is sometimes prescribed as depression is often associated with compulsive overeating, although this is unlikely to lead to long term recovery in isolation and the underlying causes for the illness need to be addressed at the same time.
- Hypnotherapy is a psychological therapy which is becoming more widely used today in the treatment of many psychological problems. Specific disordered patterns of behaviour like binge eating can be treated. By learning new associations between eating healthily and letting go of old habits like comfort or emotional eating, hypnosis can help patients to make lifestyle changes.
Perhaps you might like to try one of the following hypnosis downloads and notice how things improve for you:
- Stop Emotional Eating – This download can help your unconscious mind learn to spot what need your emotional hunger is trying to fulfil and then help you meet that need in a healthy way.
- Stop Binge Eating – Overcoming binge eating can make you feel so much better about standing up to your binge gremlins and kicking the gorge habit for good.
- Building Self Esteem – Low self esteem can make many things difficult and it is an important factor in people with eating disorders. This gentle yet powerful hypnosis download will build your self esteem.